You can see a woman holding a folder and some papers. She is standing outside on the campus of TU Kaiserslautern on a sunny day.

Obtaining your visa

In order to be allowed to study in Germany, you will require a student visa, which must be issued by the German embassy or the German consulate in your home country.

Applicants from EU countries do not need a visa.

Special regulations apply to applicants from Australia, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Canada, Liechtenstein, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, South Korea and the US. Please contact the German embassy in your home country for more information.

You will only receive your visa upon presentation of the following documents:

  • A valid passport and biometric photos
  • Certificate of aptitude for higher education, or a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
  • Proof of financial resources
  • Letter of admission
  • Proof of valid health insurance

As the requirements differ from country to country, please refer directly to the German embassy in your home country for valid information!

You will then receive a temporary residence permit for three months. For an extension of your residence permit, please apply directly to the Office of Foreigner Affairs (Ausländerbehörde) in Kaiserslautern.